Cooper Union Museum's Metalwork Gallery, by Rittase, William M. 1894-1968, c. 1945, Smithsonian Archives - History Div, George G. Raddin of the Cooper Union Museum for the Arts of Decoration's Department of Humanities shows a class historic iron grillwork in the Metalwork Gallery. The Cooper Union Museum was transferred to the Smithsonian Institution on July 1, 1968, and was renamed the Cooper-Hewitt Museum of Design..