Elephant House, NZP, by Unknown, Unknown, 1903 or later, Smithsonian Archives - History Div, The brick Elephant House designed by Hornblower and Marshall replaced the first "temporary" shed for the elephants, which was known as the Octagonal Barn. Construction of this brick house began in September of 1902 and was completed in January of 1903. The elephants were put in the house on March 12, 1903, according to the Annual Report. In this photograph there is an elephant in his outdoor enclosure..