Apparatus Room in the Smithsonian Institution Building, by Unknown, 1857, Smithsonian Archives - History Div, Print of an engraving of the Apparatus Room of the Smithsonian Institution Building, or "Castle," with the electrical machines constructed by Dr. Robert Hare, a professor of chemistry at the University of Pennsylvania. Dr. Hare donated his collection of chemical and physical apparatus to the Institution in 1848. Men and women are talking and walking around. The engraving was published in the Smithsonian Guidebook of 1857..