Freer Gallery of Art North and East Sides, by Unknown, c. 1923, Smithsonian Archives - History Div, An aerial view of the north and east sides of the newly completed Freer Gallery of Art. The Department of Agriculture building at the corner of Independence and 12th Street is to the west of the Gallery. In the distance on the left the Potomac River can be seen. Homes, other buildings, a smokestack and clock tower can also be seen..