Peacock Room - Northeast Corner, by Unknown, circa 1980, Smithsonian Archives - History Div, Northeast corner of "Harmony in Blue and Gold: The Peacock Room," 1876-1877, as redesigned by James McNeill Whistler, 1834-1903. The room was conceived by Thomas Jeckyll, architect and designer, 1827-1881, as a Porsellanzimmer (porcelain room) covered with antique Dutch leather, against which a framework of spindled walnut shelves held Leyland's collection of Chinese blue-and-white porcelain. James McNeil Whistler's La Princesse du Pays de la Porcelaine 9 "The Princess from the Land of Porcelain"), was hung above the mantelpiece. Whistler further decorated the sumptuous room and its Tudor-style ceiling from which lights were hung. Charles Lang Freer purchased the room in 1904 from a London art gallery who had removed the room for the the home of Frederick R. Leyland, a wealthy ship owner of Liverpool, England. The room was installed the Freer Gallery of Art following Freer's death. Oil paint and metal leaf on canvas, leather and wood. In this photo, the fireplace has a screen. The painting by James Whistler called "The Princess from the Land of Porcelain" occupies a place of honor above the fireplace. Two of the golden tapestries embroidered into the walls are shown..