Staff, International Exchange Service, 1891, by Unknown, 1891, Smithsonian Archives - History Div, Staff of the International Exchange Service gathered under a tree on the grounds of the Smithsonian for their picture. Seated (L-R): Morsell A. Tolson, George H. Boehmer, William C. Winlock, and G. C. French; Standing (L-R): Edward D. Hardy, Coates. W. Shoemaker, George L. Snider; Thomas Watkins, Mazie R. Fountaine, Henry A. Parker, John S. Pollock, Oliver C. Hine, Solomon G. Brown. Established in 1848, the International Exchange Service, administered by the Smithsonian Institution, disseminated scientific publications to scholarly institutions both in the United States and abroad..