Carver Theater, First Home of the Anacostia Museum, by Unknown, 1967, Smithsonian Archives - History Div, Marquee of the former Carver Theater advertising the Smithsonian Institution's Anacostia Neighborhood Museum. The Museum opened in the converted theater in September 1967 and remained at this location until April 1987, when it moved to its present location, 1901 Fort Place, S.E., Washington, D.C. The museum is now known as the Anacostia Community Museum..