Publication Packages Labeled with Foreign Country Destination, by Unknown, Early 1900s, Smithsonian Archives - History Div, In the basement of the Smithsonian Institution Building, stacks of packages of publications labeled with the foreign country to receive the shipment have been prepared by the International Exchange Service. Established in 1848, the International Exchange Service, administered by the Smithsonian Institution, disseminated scientific publications to scholarly institutions both in the United States and abroad..