Fénykövi Elephant, NHB Rotunda, by Unknown, 1978, Smithsonian Archives - History Div, J. J. Fénykövi, a European big-game hunter, donated a 2-ton elephant hide to the National Museum of Natural History in 1958. William Brown, Smithsonian, chief taxidermist, and Norman Deaton mounted the exhibit after a tanner scraped and soaked the hide to make it thin and pliable. Brown observed the habits of elephants to create a scientifically accurate model of an elephant moving at a fast walk, trunk lifted and ears fanned out. The elephant was unveiled in the rotunda of Natural History in March 1959. View shows visitors on balcony of rotunda looking down on the elephant..