Examination of 1858 Transatlantic Telegraph Cable, , Smithsonian Institution Archives, Bernard Finn (left), curator in Division of Electricity and Nuclear Energy at National Museum of History and Technology, now known as the National Museum of American History, examines a section of the transatlantic telegraph cable, the first cable used in transatlantic communication and one of one hundred cable sections donated to the museum by Richard Moskow of Silver Creations, Ltd. and Randall King (at right) of Lanello Reserves, Inc. The samples, and certificates of authenticity which accompanied them, were made up by the New York firm of Tiffany & Co., and sold to the public after contact had been successfully made between the old world and the new..