View header image
Mar 28 Congressional Authorization for New Building for Art

Congress Authorizes SI Use of Old Patent Office Building

 

Congress Authorizes SI Use of Old Patent Office Building

Anonymous's picture
Year: 
1958
Month: 
march
Day: 
28
Date: 
Fri, 1958-03-28

Congress authorizes the use of the old Patent Office Building by the Smithsonian to house the National Collection of Fine Arts, now the Smithsonian American Art Museum, and the National Portrait Gallery.  After extensive renovations, the Museums will open in 1968.