View header image
Apr 10 East Wing of SIB from South Yard

Apr 10 East Wing of the Castle Opens

 

Apr 10 East Wing of the Castle Opens

espositoc's picture
Year: 
1849
Month: 
april
Day: 
10
Date: 
Tue, 1849-04-10

The east wing of the Smithsonian Institution Building is completed and is occupied by a lecture room, a laboratory and apparatus rooms. James Renwick, Jr., a New York architect known for his ecclesiastical designs, is the architect. By year's end, the west wing would also be completed, and plans were to house the library in the west wing until the main building was finished.