Image Gallery: Solomon Brown

Solomon Brown spent his 50+ years at the Smithsonian working primarily in the Smithsonian Institution Building or Castle, first as a laborer for Secretary Joseph Henry, then as an office assistant to Spencer Baird and later a clerk with the International Exchange Service. 

Secretary Baird's Office in Smithsonian Institution Building Assistant Secretary Spencer Baird’s office in Smithsonian Institution Building, 1878
The East Range Office of Secretary Spencer Baird (1878-1887), in the Smithsonian Institution Building around 1878. Baird's state of the art Wooten desk, providing a filing system with pigeon holes and writing surfaces, is visible on the far left, 1878, by Thomas W. Smillie, photographic print, Smithsonian Institution Archives, Record Unit 95, Box 31A, Folder: 19, 2002-10672.
Staff, International Exchange Service, 1891 International Exchange Service Staff on National Mall, 1891
Staff of the International Exchange Service gathered under a tree on the grounds of the Smithsonian for their picture. Seated (L-R): Morsell A. Tolson, George H. Boehmer, William C. Winlock, and G. C. French; Standing (L-R): Edward D. Hardy, Coates. W. Shoemaker, George L. Snider; Thomas Watkins, Mazie R. Fountaine, Henry A. Parker, John S. Pollock, Oliver C. Hine, Solomon G. Brown. Established in 1848, the International Exchange Service, administered by the Smithsonian Institution, disseminated scientific publications to scholarly institutions both in the United States and abroad, 1891, by Unknown, photographic print, Smithsonian Institution Archives, Record Unit 95, Box 28, Folder: 33, 2003-19540.
Solomon G. Brown, by Unknown, 1891, Smithsonian Archives - History Div, SA-754 and SIA2007-0039. Solomon G. Brown standing on on National Mall, 1891
Solomon G. Brown (1852-1906), clerk of Secretary Spencer F. Baird (1878-1887) and poet, seen here standing outside, probably on the Mall. Brown worked at the Smithsonian for over fifty years and was possibly the first African American Smithsonian employee, 1891, by Unknown, photographic print, Smithsonian Institution Archives, Record Unit 95, Box 4, Folder: 41, SA-754 and SIA2007-0039.
International Exchange Service Staff International Exchange Service Staff at east door of Smithsonian Institution Building or Castle, 1891
Staff of the Bureau of International Exchanges, later the International Exchange Service, gathered on the steps of the east entrance of the Smithsonian Institution Building on July 10, 1891. From L-R, (top): George L. Snider, John S. Pollock, George Boehmer, William C. Winlock, Mazie R. Fountaine, Thomas Watkins; (bottom): Edward Daniel Hardy, Solomon G. Brown, Henry A. Parker, Coates Walton Shoemaker, George C. French, Oliver C. Hine, Ferdinand V. Berry, Morsell A. Tolson, 1891, bt Unknown, photographic print, Smithsonian Institution Archives, Record Unit 95, Box 28, Folder: 33, 85-16318 or 82-3382 or 77-15014.
Publication Packages Labeled with Foreign Country Destination Publication distribution packages labeled with foreign country destination, 1900
In the basement of the Smithsonian Institution Building, stacks of packages of publications labeled with the foreign country to receive the shipment have been prepared by the International Exchange Service. Established in 1848, the International Exchange Service, administered by the Smithsonian Institution, disseminated scientific publications to scholarly institutions both in the United States and abroad, early 1900s, by Unknown, photographic print, Smithsonian Institution Archives, Record Unit 95, Box 28, Folder: 33, 26963 or MAH-26963.
International Exchange Service at Work International Exchange Service at work in basement of Castle, c. 1903-1904
Three staff members of the International Exchange Service are at work in the basement of the Smithsonian Institution Building.  Note electric wiring is on ceiling.  Wrapped packages are piled on the tables in the center and along the wall.  Established in 1848, the International Exchange Service, administered by the Smithsonian Institution, disseminated scientific publications to scholarly institutions both in the United States and abroad, c. 1903-1904, by Unknown, photographic print, Smithsonian Institution Archives, Record Unit 95, Box 31A, Folder: 35, 15674 or MAH-15674.