Spirit of St. Louis in A&I Building

ID: 2003-19542

Creator: Unknown

Form/Genre: Photographic print

Date: c. 1950?

Citation: Smithsonian Institution Archives, Record Unit 95, Box 43, Folder 25

Download IIIF Manifest Request permissions Download image Print

Narrow Your Results

Reset

Filter Your Results

Smithsonian Secretaries Information

Close Browse records and papers of the Smithsonian Secretaries, from 1846 until today. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by individuals who have held that office.

Expeditions Information

Close Browse records and papers documenting scientific and collecting expeditions either affiliated with the Smithsonian, or with which Smithsonian researchers participated. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by geographic regions predominantly represented in expedition records.

Professional Societies Information

Close Browse records of professional societies closely associated with the Smithsonian, that focus on areas of scientific research and museum studies. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by major topics and disciplines.
 

Summary

The "Statue of Freedom" can be seen in the Rotunda. The "Spirit of St. Louis," in which Charles A. Lindbergh made the first non-stop flight to Paris from New York, is suspended over the North Hall of the Arts and Industries Building. Label reads "Deposited by Colonel Charles A. Lindbergh." The "Spirit of St. Louis" was actually flown to the Smithsonian by Lindbergh and put on display in 1928.

Author

Unknown

Subject

  • Spirit of St. Louis (Airplane)
  • Statue of Freedom (Statue)
  • Arts and Industries Building

Category

Historic Images of the Smithsonian

Notes

The "Statue of Freedom," which can be seen in the background of the image, was installed in the Rotunda on December 15, 1890 through the cooperation of the Architect of the Capitol, Hon. Edward Clark. The sculpture is the original full-size plaster model of the "Statue of Freedom" by sculptor Thomas Crawford which sits atop the dome of the United States Capitol Building. It was transferred from the basement of the Capitol to the United States National Museum building, now the Arts and Industries Building.

Contained within

Smithsonian Institution Archives, Record Unit 95, Box 43, Folder 25

Contact information

Institutional History Division, Smithsonian Institution Archives, 600 Maryland Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20024-2520, SIHistory@si.edu

Date

c. 1950?

Restrictions & Rights

No restrictions

Topic

  • Statues
  • Exhibitions
  • Airplanes

Form/Genre

  • Photographic print
  • Object

ID Number

2003-19542

Physical description

Color: Black and White; Size: 8 3/4 x 3 1/2; Type of Image: Object; Medium: Photographic print

Full Record

View Full Record