Spirit of St. Louis in the United States National Museum

ID: 2002-12192

Creator: Unknown

Form/Genre: Photographic print

Date: 1930s

Citation: Smithsonian Institution Archives Record Unit 95, Box 43, Folder: 25

Download IIIF Manifest Request permissions Download image Print

Narrow Your Results

Reset

Filter Your Results

Smithsonian Secretaries Information

Close Browse records and papers of the Smithsonian Secretaries, from 1846 until today. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by individuals who have held that office.

Expeditions Information

Close Browse records and papers documenting scientific and collecting expeditions either affiliated with the Smithsonian, or with which Smithsonian researchers participated. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by geographic regions predominantly represented in expedition records.

Professional Societies Information

Close Browse records of professional societies closely associated with the Smithsonian, that focus on areas of scientific research and museum studies. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by major topics and disciplines.
 

Summary

The "Spirit of St. Louis" hangs above the North Hall of the United States National Museum, now known as the Arts and Industries Building. The Northeast Court and Galleries can be seen clearly through the archways in the North Hall. The "Statue of Freedom" can be seen in the Rotunda, and the "History of the United States" exhibit can be seen below the plane. Charles A. Lindbergh donated the airplane to the Smithsonian on April 30, 1928 and The "Spirit of St. Louis" first went on display in the Arts and Industries Building on May 13, 1928.

Author

Unknown

Subject

  • Lindbergh, Charles A (Charles Augustus) 1902-1974
  • Arts and Industries Building
  • National Air and Space Museum
  • Spirit of St. Louis (Airplane)
  • Statue of Freedom (Statue)
  • United States National Museum

Category

Historic Images of the Smithsonian

Notes

  • Through the cooperation of the Architect of the Capitol, Hon. Edward Clark, the original full-size plaster model of the "Statue of Freedom" by sculptor Thomas Crawford which sits atop the dome of the United States Capitol Building was transferred from the basement of the Capitol to the United States National Museum building, now the Arts and Industries Building, and was installed in the Rotunda on December 15, 1890.
  • Original negative number is 742B, but that negative number has been lost.

Contained within

Smithsonian Institution Archives Record Unit 95, Box 43, Folder: 25

Contact information

Institutional History Division, Smithsonian Institution Archives, 600 Maryland Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20024-2520, SIHistory@si.edu

Date

1930s

Restrictions & Rights

No restrictions

Topic

  • Museum buildings
  • Airplanes
  • North Hall
  • North East Court
  • Exhibitions
  • Gifts
  • Statues
  • Rotundas
  • North East Galleries
  • Arts and Industries Building
  • Arts and Industries Building--North Hall
  • Arts and Industries Building--North East Court
  • Arts and Industries Building--North East Galleries

Form/Genre

  • Photographic print
  • Exhibit

ID Number

2002-12192

Physical description

Color: Black and White; Size: 10w x 8h; Type of Image: Exhibit; Medium: Photographic print

Full Record

View Full Record