Children's Room, towards South Door, 1901

ID: 14744 or MAH-14744

Creator: Unknown

Form/Genre: Photographic print

Date: 1901

Citation: Smithsonian Institution Archives, Record Unit 95, Box 41, Folder: 8

Usage Conditions Apply
The Smithsonian Institution Archives welcomes personal and educational use of its collections unless otherwise noted. For commercial uses, please contact
Download IIIF Manifest Request permissions Download image Print

Narrow Your Results


Filter Your Results

Smithsonian Secretaries Information

Close Browse records and papers of the Smithsonian Secretaries, from 1846 until today. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by individuals who have held that office.

Expeditions Information

Close Browse records and papers documenting scientific and collecting expeditions either affiliated with the Smithsonian, or with which Smithsonian researchers participated. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by geographic regions predominantly represented in expedition records.

Professional Societies Information

Close Browse records of professional societies closely associated with the Smithsonian, that focus on areas of scientific research and museum studies. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by major topics and disciplines.


Children's Room in the South Tower of the Smithsonian Institution Building. The room was converted by Secretary Samuel P. Langley in 1901 to provide a natural history exhibit for children. Seen here are the large aquarium with live fish, some of the cases with natural history specimens specially designed to a child's height, a large kaleidoscope with live fish swimming in a tank at its end, and the decorative wall stencils and ceiling designed by Grace Lincoln Temple. The room was intended by Secretary Langley to inspire children in the study of the natural world.


  • Smithsonian Institution Building (Washington, D.C.)
  • Smithsonian Institution Building Children's Room
  • Smithsonian Institution Building South Towers


Historic Images of the Smithsonian


For more information see: The Castle: An Illustrated History of the Smithsonian Building, by Field, Stamm, and Ewing, p. 126-130. Also featured in the TORCH, May 1974. A copy of this photo is also located in SIA RU371 B2.

Contained within

Smithsonian Institution Archives, Record Unit 95, Box 41, Folder: 8

Contact information

Institutional History Division, Smithsonian Institution Archives, 600 Maryland Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20024-2520,



Restrictions & Rights

No restrictions


  • Women
  • Temple, Grace Lincoln
  • Natural History
  • Children
  • Natural history


  • Photographic print
  • Exhibit

ID Number

14744 or MAH-14744

Physical description

Color: Black and White; Size: 10w x 8h; Type of Image: Exhibit; Medium: Photographic print

Full Record

View Full Record