National Collection of Fine Arts Flag
CloseDownload IIIF ManifestRequest permissionsDownload image Print
In preparation for the celebration of the bicentennial of the birth of James Smithson, in 1965 a new Smithsonian flag was designed. Banners were also designed for all Smithsonian bureaus. The thirteen individual banners were all similar except for the design of the canton in the upper left corner. All have a blue field with gold fringe on the upper, lower, and right sides. In the center is a gold sun burst with 16 alternating straight and wavy rays. For the National Collection of Fine Arts, now the Smithsonian American Art Museum, the white canton features a red, white and blue pinwheel.
Historic Images of the Smithsonian
The first Smithsonian flag was designed in 1955.
Smithsonian Institution Archives, Record Unit 95, Box 66, Folder 1
Institutional History Division, Smithsonian Institution Archives, 600 Maryland Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20024-2520, SIHistory@si.edu
Color: Color; Size: 8w x 10h; Type of Image: Object; Medium: Photographic print