James Smithson Memorial Tablet in Genoa

ID: 53254 or MAH-53254

Creator: Unknown

Form/Genre: Photographic print

Date: c. 1963

Citation: Smithsonian Institution Archives, Record Unit 95, Box 21, Folder: 6

Usage Conditions Apply
The Smithsonian Institution Archives welcomes personal and educational use of its collections unless otherwise noted. For commercial uses, please contact photos@si.edu.
Download IIIF Manifest Request permissions Download image Print

Narrow Your Results


Filter Your Results

Smithsonian Secretaries Information

Close Browse records and papers of the Smithsonian Secretaries, from 1846 until today. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by individuals who have held that office.

Expeditions Information

Close Browse records and papers documenting scientific and collecting expeditions either affiliated with the Smithsonian, or with which Smithsonian researchers participated. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by geographic regions predominantly represented in expedition records.

Professional Societies Information

Close Browse records of professional societies closely associated with the Smithsonian, that focus on areas of scientific research and museum studies. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by major topics and disciplines.


  • Smithson Memorial Tablet erected by the Smithsonian Regents in the Anglo-American (Anglican) Church of the Holy Ghost, Genoa, Italy. The memorial marker, on the right, commemorates James Smithson, founding donor of the Smithsonian Institution, who died near Genoa, Italy on June 27, 1829. This tablet replaced an earlier one destroyed when the church was bombed in World War II. The arched chancel, or sanctuary, is visible to the left while the nave, or congregation section, populated with chairs is visible in the foreground.
  • Three copies of the Smithson Tablet or memorial plaque were made in bronze and two copies were made in Carrara marble. The artist for the plaque design was William Ordway Partridge of New York City. The plaque features a carved profile of James Smithson with the inscription, "James Smithson -- FRS -- Founder of the Smithsonian Institution -- Washington. Erected by the Regents of the Institution 1896." Initially, two bronze copies were cast in 1896. One was placed at the Smithson grave site outside Genoa and one was installed in the nearby Church of the Holy Ghost.
  • The memorial plaque at the grave site was later stolen and replaced with a facsimile of Carrara marble in 1900. That plaque was brought to Washington, D.C., in 1904, when Smithson's remains were moved to the Smithsonian and remains in the Crypt Room of the Smithsonian Castle today. The bronze in the Church of the Holy Ghost was lost during World War II; the church was gutted by fire and many artifacts were lost. A replacement marble facsimile was carved by Rafaello Romanelli of Florence and installed in 1963. A third bronze copy of the memorial plaque was cast and sent to Pembroke College, Oxford University, where Smithson attended school, in 1898, where it remains today.


  • Smithson, James 1765-1829
  • Partridge, William Ordway 1861-1930
  • Romanelli, Rafaello
  • Smithson Memorial Tablet


Historic Images of the Smithsonian


See also negative # 11812, #53255 and #10226-A

Contained within

Smithsonian Institution Archives, Record Unit 95, Box 21, Folder: 6

Contact information

Institutional History Division, Smithsonian Institution Archives, 600 Maryland Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20024-2520, SIHistory@si.edu


c. 1963

Restrictions & Rights

No restrictions


  • Anglo-American Church of the Holy Ghost
  • Art
  • Memorials
  • Anglican church buildings
  • Benefactors
  • Architecture
  • Dedications (Ceremony)
  • Church buildings
  • World War, 1939-1945
  • Art objects


Genoa (Italy)


  • Photographic print
  • Interior

ID Number

53254 or MAH-53254

Physical description

Color: Black and White; Size: 10w x 8h; Type of Image: Interior; Medium: Photographic print

Full Record

View Full Record