History Exhibits, North Hall, A&I Building

ID: 16239 or MAH-16239

Creator: Unknown

Form/Genre: Photographic print

Date: 1925

Citation: Smithsonian Institution Archives, Record Unit 95, Box 43, Folder: 35

Close
Usage Conditions Apply
The Smithsonian Institution Archives welcomes personal and educational use of its collections unless otherwise noted. For commercial uses, please contact photos@si.edu.
Download IIIF Manifest Request permissions Download image Print

Narrow Your Results

Reset

Filter Your Results

Smithsonian Secretaries Information

Close Browse records and papers of the Smithsonian Secretaries, from 1846 until today. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by individuals who have held that office.

Expeditions Information

Close Browse records and papers documenting scientific and collecting expeditions either affiliated with the Smithsonian, or with which Smithsonian researchers participated. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by geographic regions predominantly represented in expedition records.

Professional Societies Information

Close Browse records of professional societies closely associated with the Smithsonian, that focus on areas of scientific research and museum studies. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by major topics and disciplines.
 

Summary

"History of the United States" Exhibit in the North Hall of the United States National Museum Building, now the Arts and Industries Building. The uniform of George Washington can be seen in the middle of the exhibit. The archway into the rotunda, with the "Statue of Freedom" in it, is flanked by the Limoges vases.

Subject

  • Washington, George 1732-1799
  • United States National Museum
  • Arts and Industries Building
  • Statue of Freedom (Statue)

Category

Historic Images of the Smithsonian

Notes

  • Through the cooperation of the Architect of the Capitol, Hon. Edward Clark, the original full-size plaster model of the "Statue of Freedom" by sculptor Thomas Crawford which sits atop the dome of the United States Capitol Building was transferred from the basement of the Capitol to the United States National Museum building, now the Arts and Industries Building, and was installed in the Rotunda on December 15, 1890.
  • Photo pre-dates 1930, when the fountain base in the Rotunda was removed. See USNM Report 1930, p. 31. See also photo 21395G.

Contained within

Smithsonian Institution Archives, Record Unit 95, Box 43, Folder: 35

Contact information

Institutional History Division, Smithsonian Institution Archives, 600 Maryland Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20024-2520, SIHistory@si.edu

Date

1925

Restrictions & Rights

No restrictions

Topic

  • Museum buildings
  • North Hall
  • Busts
  • Exhibitions
  • Interiors
  • Statues
  • Rotundas
  • History
  • National Collections
  • Arts and Industries Building
  • Limoges porcelain
  • Arts and Industries Building--North Hall

Form/Genre

  • Photographic print
  • Interior
  • Exhibit

ID Number

16239 or MAH-16239

Physical description

Color: Black and White; Size: 10w x 8h; Type of Image: Exhibit; interior; Medium: Photographic print

Full Record

View Full Record