Moving of Greenough Statue of George Washington
CloseDownload IIIF ManifestRequest permissionsDownload image Print
Photo documenting the relocation of Horatio Greenough's statue from the West Wing of the Smithsonian Institution Building to the new Museum of History and Technology, now the National Museum of American History, across the Mall. The statue was moved out of the building on September 6, 1962. The statue had been housed at the U.S. Capitol after its creation and in 1908 was transferred to the Smithsonian. Photo shows statue, strapped into its support system, exiting the West Wing of the Smithsonian Institution Building through the central southern window.
Historic Images of the Smithsonian
Smithsonian Institution Archives Record Unit 276 Box 97 Folder 7
Institutional History Division, Smithsonian Institution Archives, 600 Maryland Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20024-2520, SIHistory@si.edu
Color: Black and White; Size: 10w x 8h; Type of Image: Event; Medium: Photographic print