North Front of A&I Building

ID: 9498 or MAH-9498

Creator: Unknown (Thomas W. Smillie?)

Form/Genre: Photographic print

Date: c. 1900

Citation: Smithsonian Institution Archives, Record Unit 95, Box 32, Folder: 8

Close
Usage Conditions Apply
The Smithsonian Institution Archives welcomes personal and educational use of its collections unless otherwise noted. For commercial uses, please contact photos@si.edu.
Download IIIF Manifest Request permissions Download image Print

Narrow Your Results

Reset

Filter Your Results

Smithsonian Secretaries Information

Close Browse records and papers of the Smithsonian Secretaries, from 1846 until today. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by individuals who have held that office.

Expeditions Information

Close Browse records and papers documenting scientific and collecting expeditions either affiliated with the Smithsonian, or with which Smithsonian researchers participated. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by geographic regions predominantly represented in expedition records.

Professional Societies Information

Close Browse records of professional societies closely associated with the Smithsonian, that focus on areas of scientific research and museum studies. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by major topics and disciplines.
 

Summary

The glass doors at the North Entrance of the United States National Museum, now known as the Arts and Industries Building, were installed c.1890 and replaced c. 1902-1907. Easter Island Statues flank each side of the entrance. A watchman is seated at the door. Gardeners are arranging a floral bed in the foreground. Signs on the two light posts direct visitors to enter the museum by the East Doors. Over the gable of the north nave is an inscription stone "National Museum, 1879", and an allegorical group of statuary designed by Caspar Buberl, of New York, representing "Columbia as the Protectress of Science and Industry."

Subject

  • Burberl, Caspar
  • United States National Museum
  • Arts and Industries Building North Front
  • Office of Protective Services

Category

Historic Images of the Smithsonian

Notes

The glass door at the north entrance was installed c. 1890 and replaced c. 1902.

Contained within

Smithsonian Institution Archives, Record Unit 95, Box 32, Folder: 8

Contact information

Institutional History Division, Smithsonian Institution Archives, 600 Maryland Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20024-2520, SIHistory@si.edu

Date

c. 1900

Restrictions & Rights

No restrictions

Topic

  • Museum buildings
  • Horticulture
  • Smithsonian Institution
  • Personnel management
  • Grounds
  • Employees
  • Statues
  • Gardens
  • SI Buildings
  • Smithsonian Institution--Employees
  • Easter Island

Place

  • District of Columbia
  • Easter Island
  • Southwest
  • United States of America
  • Washington
  • Arts and Industries Building

Form/Genre

  • Photographic print
  • Exterior

ID Number

9498 or MAH-9498

Physical description

Color: Black and White; Size: 8w x 10h; Type of Image: Exterior; Medium: Photographic print

Full Record

View Full Record