Smithsonian Institution Building and The Mall, 1855

ID: MAH-18603 or 18603 or 2004-10647

Creator: Unknown

Form/Genre: Photographic print

Date: c. 1855

Citation: Smithsonian Institution Archives, Record Unit 95, Box 67, Folder: 2 and Record Unit 95, Box 30, Folder: 7

Request permissions Download image Print

Narrow Your Results

Reset

Filter Your Results

Smithsonian Secretaries Information

Close Browse records and papers of the Smithsonian Secretaries, from 1846 until today. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by individuals who have held that office.

Expeditions Information

Close Browse records and papers documenting scientific and collecting expeditions either affiliated with the Smithsonian, or with which Smithsonian researchers participated. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by geographic regions predominantly represented in expedition records.

Professional Societies Information

Close Browse records of professional societies closely associated with the Smithsonian, that focus on areas of scientific research and museum studies. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by major topics and disciplines.
 

Summary

The Smithsonian Institution Building (SIB) seen from downtown Washington, D.C., from across The Mall, around 1855. In the foreground are construction materials along 15th Street, NW for the new wing added in 1855 to the Treasury Building. The Treasury building is the oldest departmental building in Washington, D.C.having been completed in 1842 and expanded three times by 1869. Residential and commercial buildings in the foreground are between 15th and 14th Streets, NW. This area was also known in the 1860s as the red light district called Murder Bay. The canal bordering the Mall before being converted to form Constitution Avenue is the sliver at right center. The white residence at the far left is at the corner of 15th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue, NW.

Author

Unknown

Subject

  • Smithsonian Institution Building (Washington, D.C.)
  • United States Treasury Dept Building

Category

Historic Images of the Smithsonian

Notes

The original negative number is 18603. The original photograph was re-scanned and given new negative and digital file numbers. For the house at the corner of 15th Street, NW and Pennsylvania Avenue, see James M. Goode's "Capital Losses: A Cultural History of Washington's Destroyed Buildings," pages 142-143. See also Douglas Evelyn and Paul Dickson's "Pinpoint the Past in Washington, D.C.," page 45.

Contained within

Smithsonian Institution Archives, Record Unit 95, Box 67, Folder: 2 and Record Unit 95, Box 30, Folder: 7

Contact information

Institutional History Division, Smithsonian Institution Archives, 600 Maryland Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20024-2520, SIHistory@si.edu

Date

c. 1855

Restrictions & Rights

No restrictions

Topic

  • Washington Canal
  • Construction
  • Street photography
  • Buildings, structures, etc
  • Landscapes
  • Architecture
  • Washington, D.C
  • Buildings--Washington, D.C

Place

  • District of Columbia
  • Northwest
  • Mall, The (Washington, D.C.)
  • 15th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue
  • United States of America
  • Washington (D.C.)
  • Washington

Form/Genre

  • Photographic print
  • Landscape
  • Architecture

ID Number

MAH-18603 or 18603 or 2004-10647

Physical description

Color: Black and White; Size: 10w x 8h; Type of Image: Architectural; Landscape; Medium: Photographic print

Full Record

View Full Record