Laboratory of Natural History Built

Close
Usage Conditions Apply
The Smithsonian Institution Archives welcomes personal and educational use of its collections unless otherwise noted. For commercial uses, please contact photos@si.edu.
Print

Narrow Your Results

Reset

Filter Your Results

Smithsonian Secretaries Information

Close Browse records and papers of the Smithsonian Secretaries, from 1846 until today. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by individuals who have held that office.

Expeditions Information

Close Browse records and papers documenting scientific and collecting expeditions either affiliated with the Smithsonian, or with which Smithsonian researchers participated. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by geographic regions predominantly represented in expedition records.

Professional Societies Information

Close Browse records of professional societies closely associated with the Smithsonian, that focus on areas of scientific research and museum studies. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by major topics and disciplines.
 

Summary

A small, two-story brick building is constructed a near the southwestern corner of the Smithsonian Institution Building to be used as quarters for the preparators and photographer of the National Museum and for space to plan and construct exhibits for the 1876 Centennial Exhibition in Philadelphia. It consists of a main structure, 30 by 27 feet, and two wings, the latter to be used as a stable and carriage house. Part of the construction expense is funded by an advance of $2,614 from the Smithson fund. In the 1881 Annual Report, Spencer F. Baird refers to the building as the Laboratory of Natural History.

Subject

  • Baird, Spencer Fullerton 1823-1887
  • Smithsonian Institution Bureau of American Ethnology
  • Smithsonian Institution Building Laboratory of Natural History
  • United States Geological Survey (USGS)
  • Centennial Exhibition (1876 : Philadelphia, Pa.)

Category

Chronology of Smithsonian History

Notes

  • Over the years various units will use the building, among them the photographers of the U.S. Geological Survey and the Bureau of American Ethnology, who will remain there until 1884.
  • Rathbun, Richard. The United States National Museum: An Account of the Buildings Occupied by the National Collections, Washington, D.C., 1905. Reprinted from the Report of the U.S. National Museum for 1903, pp. 177-309., p. 236
  • Annual Report of the Smithsonian Institution for the year 1875, p. 42, 109
  • Annual Report of the Smithsonian Institution for the year 1881, p. 12

Contact information

Institutional History Division, Smithsonian Institution Archives, 600 Maryland Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20024-2520, SIHistory@si.edu

Date

1875

Topic

  • Photography
  • Architecture
  • Laboratories
  • Finance
  • Interagency Relations
  • Anthropology
  • Ethnology
  • Exhibitions
  • Buildings
  • Building
  • Facilities

Full Record

View Full Record