Woodrow Wilson Center Established

Close
Usage Conditions Apply
The Smithsonian Institution Archives welcomes personal and educational use of its collections unless otherwise noted. For commercial uses, please contact photos@si.edu.
Print
 

Summary

The Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars is established by the United States Congress (P.L. 90-637) to honor the memory of President Woodrow Wilson, and is placed at the Smithsonian Institution under a Board of Trustees appointed by former President Lyndon Baines Johnson and President Richard M. Nixon. In 1970, it will be installed in the newly created floors occupying the former upper main hall of the Smithsonian Institution Building.

Subject

  • Wilson, Woodrow 1856-1924
  • Johnson, Lyndon B (Lyndon Baines) 1908-1973
  • Nixon, Richard M (Richard Milhous) 1913-
  • Smithsonian Institution Building (Washington, D.C.)
  • Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars
  • United States Congress
  • United States President

Category

Chronology of Smithsonian History

Notes

  • Annual Report of the Smithsonian Institution for the year 1969. Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution Press, 1969, p. 29, 483.
  • Field, Cynthia R., Richard E. Stamm, and Heather P. Ewing. The Castle: An Illustrated History of the Smithsonian Building. Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution Press, 1993, p. xv.

Contact information

Institutional History Division, Smithsonian Institution Archives, 600 Maryland Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20024-2520, SIHistory@si.edu

Date

October 24, 1968

Topic

  • Law
  • Memorials
  • Architecture
  • New Programs
  • Repair and reconstruction
  • Major Events in Smithsonian History
  • Buildings
  • Legislation
  • Buildings--Repair and reconstruction

Place

Washington (D.C.)

Full Record

View Full Record