Groundbreaking of the New Anacostia Museum
CloseDownload IIIF ManifestRequest permissionsDownload image Print
Ceremonial groundbreaking at 1901 Fort Place, S.E., Washington, D.C., in May 1985, for the Anacostia Neighborhood Museum (AM), renamed the Anacostia Museum in 1987. In 1995 the Museum was renamed Anacostia Museum and Center for African American History and Culture. After the Smithsonian launched its new National Museum of African American History and Culture, the Museum was renamed Anacostia Community Museum in 2006. Left to right: Museum Historian Louise Hutchinson (AM), Robert Stanton (National Park Service), John Blake (chair of AM board), Ann King (former president of Fort Stanton Citizens Association[FSCA]), James Mayo (ANM exhibit supervisor), Addie Cook (FSCA president), AM Director John Kinard and Secretary Robert McCormick Adams. The museum opened in the Carver Theater building in 1967.
Historic Images of the Smithsonian
Featured in the Torch, July 1985
Smithsonian Institution Archives, Record Unit 371, Box 4, Folder: July 1985
Institutional History Division, Smithsonian Institution Archives, 600 Maryland Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20024-2520, SIHistory@si.edu
Color: Black and White; Size: 10w x 8h; Type of Image: Event; Group; Medium: Photographic print