Renwick Gallery Acquired

Close
Usage Conditions Apply
The Smithsonian Institution Archives welcomes personal and educational use of its collections unless otherwise noted. For commercial uses, please contact photos@si.edu.
Print

Narrow Your Results

Reset

Filter Your Results

Smithsonian Secretaries Information

Close Browse records and papers of the Smithsonian Secretaries, from 1846 until today. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by individuals who have held that office.

Expeditions Information

Close Browse records and papers documenting scientific and collecting expeditions either affiliated with the Smithsonian, or with which Smithsonian researchers participated. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by geographic regions predominantly represented in expedition records.

Professional Societies Information

Close Browse records of professional societies closely associated with the Smithsonian, that focus on areas of scientific research and museum studies. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by major topics and disciplines.
 

Summary

The Court of Claims Building is turned over to the Smithsonian Institution for renovation into the Renwick Gallery of Art, after an appropriation is approved for renovation costs (P.L. 89-435). The building was designed by architect James Renwick, Jr., who also designed the Smithsonian Institution Building or "Castle," and it served as the first Corcoran Gallery of Art and later as the Court of Claims. The building is formally transferred to the Smithsonian by General Services Administration Regional Director L. E. Nunnally on July 20, 1966.

Subject

  • Renwick, James 1818-1895
  • Nunnally, L. E
  • Corcoran Gallery of Art
  • Court of Claims Building)
  • National Collection of Fine Arts
  • National Museum of American Art (U.S.)
  • Renwick Gallery
  • Smithsonian American Art Museum
  • United States General Services Administration

Category

Chronology of Smithsonian History

Notes

  • Annual Report of the Smithsonian Institution for the year 1966. Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution, 1966, p. 282.
  • Oehser, Paul H. The Smithsonian Institution. New York: Praeger Publishers, 1970, p. 201.

Contact information

Institutional History Division, Smithsonian Institution Archives, 600 Maryland Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20024-2520, SIHistory@si.edu

Date

May 31, 1966

Topic

  • Law
  • Architecture
  • Art museums
  • Repair and reconstruction
  • New Museums
  • Legislation
  • Buildings--Repair and reconstruction

Place

Washington (D.C.)

Full Record

View Full Record