Deliveries to International Exchange Service

ID: 13318 or MAH-13318

Creator: Unknown

Form/Genre: Photographic print

Date: 1910

Citation: Smithsonian Institution Archives, Record Unit 95, Box 30A, Folder: 21

Close
Usage Conditions Apply
The Smithsonian Institution Archives welcomes personal and educational use of its collections unless otherwise noted. For commercial uses, please contact photos@si.edu.
Download IIIF Manifest Request permissions Download image Print

Narrow Your Results

Reset

Filter Your Results

Smithsonian Secretaries Information

Close Browse records and papers of the Smithsonian Secretaries, from 1846 until today. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by individuals who have held that office.

Expeditions Information

Close Browse records and papers documenting scientific and collecting expeditions either affiliated with the Smithsonian, or with which Smithsonian researchers participated. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by geographic regions predominantly represented in expedition records.

Professional Societies Information

Close Browse records of professional societies closely associated with the Smithsonian, that focus on areas of scientific research and museum studies. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by major topics and disciplines.
 

Summary

Parked outside the south facade (South Yard) of the East Wing of the Smithsonian Institution Building is a delivery wagon making deliveries to the International Exchange Service. "Exchange" employees unload wooden boxes into the basement, using a freight lift constructed in 1884 after the postern door was removed. Established in 1848, the International Exchange Service, administered by the Smithsonian Institution, disseminated scientific publications to scholarly institutions both in the United States and abroad.

Subject

  • International Exchange Service (IES)
  • Smithsonian Institution Building (Washington, D.C.)
  • Smithsonian Institution Building East Wing
  • South Yard

Category

Historic Images of the Smithsonian

Notes

source: Field, Stamm & Ewing. THE CASTLE, AN ILLUSTRATED HISTORY OF THE SMITHSONIAN BUILDING (p. 40)

Contained within

Smithsonian Institution Archives, Record Unit 95, Box 30A, Folder: 21

Contact information

Institutional History Division, Smithsonian Institution Archives, 600 Maryland Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20024-2520, SIHistory@si.edu

Date

1910

Restrictions & Rights

No restrictions

Topic

  • Animals
  • Smithsonian Institution
  • Personnel management
  • Horses
  • Crates
  • Employees
  • Carriages and carts
  • Exchanges, Literary and scientific
  • African Americans
  • Smithsonian Institution--Employees

Place

  • District of Columbia
  • Southwest
  • United States of America
  • Smithsonian Institution Building
  • Washington

Form/Genre

  • Photographic print
  • Exterior

ID Number

13318 or MAH-13318

Physical description

Color: Black and White; Size: 10w x 8h; Type of Image: Exterior; Medium: Photographic print

Full Record

View Full Record