Star-Spangled Banner Outside the Smithsonian Institution Building

ID: SIA2011-1081 or 99-1583

Creator: Unknown

Form/Genre: Photographic print

Date: 1907

Citation: Smithsonian Institution Archives, Record Unit 95, Box 53, Folder: 7

Close
Usage Conditions Apply
The Smithsonian Institution Archives welcomes personal and educational use of its collections unless otherwise noted. For commercial uses, please contact photos@si.edu.
Download IIIF Manifest Request permissions Download image Print

Narrow Your Results

Reset

Filter Your Results

Smithsonian Secretaries Information

Close Browse records and papers of the Smithsonian Secretaries, from 1846 until today. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by individuals who have held that office.

Expeditions Information

Close Browse records and papers documenting scientific and collecting expeditions either affiliated with the Smithsonian, or with which Smithsonian researchers participated. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by geographic regions predominantly represented in expedition records.

Professional Societies Information

Close Browse records of professional societies closely associated with the Smithsonian, that focus on areas of scientific research and museum studies. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by major topics and disciplines.
 

Summary

Shortly after it came to the United States National Museum, the Star-Spangled Banner was hung on the exterior of the north side of the Smithsonian Institution Building or "Castle" where the East Range is located. The flag was made during the summer of 1813 as a simple garrison flag, but after the British attacked Baltimore in 1814, it gained recognition as the "Star Spangled Banner." The flag became a valued keepsake of Major George Armistead, the commander of Baltimore's Fort McHenry, and was retained by his descendants. Eventually, the family came to believe that the Star Spangled Banner belonged in a museum as an artifact of national heritage. Armistead's grandson, Eben Appleton, made inquires and corresponded with Smithsonian Secretary Charles D. Walcott. In 1907, Appleton gave the flag on loan to the Smithsonian Institution and he converted the loan to a gift in 1912. The flag was restored by the Smithsonian Institution in 1914 and again in 1999.

Subject

  • Appleton, Eben
  • Armistead, George 1780-1818
  • Walcott, Charles D (Charles Doolittle) 1850-1927
  • Smithsonian Institution Building (Washington, D.C.)
  • Star-Spangled Banner (Flag)

Category

Historic Images of the Smithsonian

Notes

  • This is both the cyanotype and the copy print of the cyanotype original, negative number 19703A. The original negative of 19703A was drastically altered as some point with the Smithsonian Institution Building and the partial A on the flag being whited out. See 19703A or MAH-19703A for the original.
  • "Real Star-Spangled Banner," the Washington Post, July 21, 1907, page E8, contains a cropped version of this picture that still shows a small part of the Smithsonian Institution Building behind it.

Contained within

Smithsonian Institution Archives, Record Unit 95, Box 53, Folder: 7

Contact information

Institutional History Division, Smithsonian Institution Archives, 600 Maryland Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20024-2520, SIHistory@si.edu

Date

1907

Restrictions & Rights

No restrictions

Topic

  • Loans
  • United States Flag
  • Gifts
  • Flags

Form/Genre

  • Photographic print
  • Exterior
  • Object

ID Number

SIA2011-1081 or 99-1583

Physical description

Number of Images: 2 Color: Cyanotype and Black and White; Size: 8.25w x 10.25h; Type of Image: Exterior; Object; Medium: Photographic print

Full Record

View Full Record