Joseph Henry's Home in Princeton, New Jersey

ID: SIA2012-2992 or 44308

Creator: Joseph Henry Papers Project

Form/Genre: Photographic print

Date: c. 1861

Citation: Smithsonian Institution Archives, Record Unit 95, Box 12, Folder: 6

Close
Usage Conditions Apply
The Smithsonian Institution Archives welcomes personal and educational use of its collections unless otherwise noted. For commercial uses, please contact photos@si.edu.
Download IIIF Manifest Request permissions Download image Print

Narrow Your Results

Reset

Filter Your Results

Smithsonian Secretaries Information

Close Browse records and papers of the Smithsonian Secretaries, from 1846 until today. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by individuals who have held that office.

Expeditions Information

Close Browse records and papers documenting scientific and collecting expeditions either affiliated with the Smithsonian, or with which Smithsonian researchers participated. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by geographic regions predominantly represented in expedition records.

Professional Societies Information

Close Browse records of professional societies closely associated with the Smithsonian, that focus on areas of scientific research and museum studies. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by major topics and disciplines.
 

Summary

Joseph Henry's home in Princeton, New Jersey, where from 1832-1846 he taught natural philosophy, or physics, at the College of New Jersey, today known as Princeton University and lived there from its completion in 1838 until taking a position as the first secretary of the Smithsonian Institution in 1846. It was to this house that Professor Henry sent telegraphic messages (sometimes to order lunch) from his laboratory in Philosophical Hall. In addition to natural philosophy (physics), Henry taught chemistry, geology, mineralogy, astronomy, and architecture. Joseph Henry (1797-1878) was the first Secretary of the Smithsonian Institution from 1846 to 1878.

Subject

  • Henry, Joseph 1797-1878
  • College of New Jersey (Princeton, N.J.)
  • Princeton University

Category

Historic Images of the Smithsonian

Notes

  • The stone house, probably designed by Joseph Henry, was completed in 1838; in 1870: House moved, brick by brick, to site behind East College; 1925: House moved, intact, to corner of Washington Road and Nassau Street by the Eichleay Company; 1946: House moved, again, and to its present location on the Front Campus across from Maclean House by the Eichleay Company. In 1965 it was Declared a National Historic Landmark.
  • The construction of the house was part the compensation offered to the young physicist.
  • See SIA2012-8400 for Henry's house at its last location.

Contained within

Smithsonian Institution Archives, Record Unit 95, Box 12, Folder: 6

Contact information

Institutional History Division, Smithsonian Institution Archives, 600 Maryland Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20024-2520, SIHistory@si.edu

Date

c. 1861

Restrictions & Rights

Unknown

Topic

  • Secretariats
  • Secretaries

Place

Princeton (N.J.)

Form/Genre

  • Photographic print
  • Exterior

ID Number

SIA2012-2992 or 44308

Physical description

Number of Images: 1 ; Color: Black and White ; Size: 10w x 8h ; Type of Image: Exterior ; Medium: Photographic print

Full Record

View Full Record