Elephant House with Elephant Walking in the Yard, NZP,1903

ID: 15533 or MAH-15533

Creator: Unknown

Form/Genre: Exterior

Date: 1903

Citation: Smithsonian Institution Archives, Record Unit 95, Box 47, Folder: 13

Close
Usage Conditions Apply
The Smithsonian Institution Archives welcomes personal and educational use of its collections unless otherwise noted. For commercial uses, please contact photos@si.edu.
Download IIIF Manifest Request permissions Download image Print

Narrow Your Results

Reset

Filter Your Results

Smithsonian Secretaries Information

Close Browse records and papers of the Smithsonian Secretaries, from 1846 until today. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by individuals who have held that office.

Expeditions Information

Close Browse records and papers documenting scientific and collecting expeditions either affiliated with the Smithsonian, or with which Smithsonian researchers participated. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by geographic regions predominantly represented in expedition records.

Professional Societies Information

Close Browse records of professional societies closely associated with the Smithsonian, that focus on areas of scientific research and museum studies. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by major topics and disciplines.
 

Summary

Photograph of the brick Elephant House designed by Hornblower and Marshall for the National Zoological Park. Construction on the building began in September of 1902 and was completed in January of 1903. According to the Annual Report, the elephants were moved into the house on March 12, 1903. A hastily erected shed called the Octagonal Barn had been used by the elephants, some of the first animals at the Zoo. In 1891 the Adams-Forepaugh Shows, a locally based circus that wintered its animals at the Zoo, gave two elephants, Dunk and Gold Dust, who were ceremoniously led up Connecticut Avenue to their quarters. The Barn was used until 1903 when the animals were afforded more permanent accommodations. Secretary Samuel P. Langley (1887-1906) had earlier solicited designs from numerous architects for an elephant house but none were satisfactory. In 1936 Works Progress Administration funds provided for the first moated exhibit, the current Pachyderm House.

Subject

  • National Zoological Park (U.S.)
  • Hornblower & Marshall

Category

Historic Images of the Smithsonian

Contained within

Smithsonian Institution Archives, Record Unit 95, Box 47, Folder: 13

Contact information

Institutional History Division, Smithsonian Institution Archives, 600 Maryland Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20024-2520, SIHistory@si.edu

Date

1903

Restrictions & Rights

No restrictions

Topic

  • Animal cages
  • Zoos
  • Animals
  • Outside enclosures
  • Architecture
  • National Zoological Park (U.S.)
  • Elephants
  • National Zoological Park (U.S.)--Elephant House

Form/Genre

  • Exterior
  • Photographic print
  • Architecture
  • Animal, candid

ID Number

15533 or MAH-15533

Physical description

Color: Black and White; Size: 10w x 8h; Type of Image: Architectural; Animal, candid; Medium: Photographic print

Full Record

View Full Record