The Washington Armory Building

ID: 15302 or MAH-15302

Creator: Unknown

Form/Genre: Photographic print

Date: c. 1880

Citation: Smithsonian Institution Archives, Record Unit 95, Box 34, Folder: 38

Close
Usage Conditions Apply
The Smithsonian Institution Archives welcomes personal and educational use of its collections unless otherwise noted. For commercial uses, please contact photos@si.edu.
Download IIIF Manifest Request permissions Download image Print

Narrow Your Results

Reset

Filter Your Results

Smithsonian Secretaries Information

Close Browse records and papers of the Smithsonian Secretaries, from 1846 until today. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by individuals who have held that office.

Expeditions Information

Close Browse records and papers documenting scientific and collecting expeditions either affiliated with the Smithsonian, or with which Smithsonian researchers participated. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by geographic regions predominantly represented in expedition records.

Professional Societies Information

Close Browse records of professional societies closely associated with the Smithsonian, that focus on areas of scientific research and museum studies. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by major topics and disciplines.
 

Summary

The Washington Armory Building, also known as the Columbian Armory, located between 6th and 7th Streets, was built in 1855 and razed in 1964. The Armory was used by the Smithsonian Institution staff to house the government collections transferred from the 1876 Centennial Exhibition in Philadelphia and was used as the headquarters for the United States Fish Commission, founded by second Secretary Spencer Fullerton Baird. Today, the site is now occupied by the National Air and Space Museum.

Subject

  • Armory Building
  • United States Bureau of Fisheries
  • National Collections
  • Centennial Exhibition (1876 : Philadelphia, Pa.)

Category

Historic Images of the Smithsonian

Notes

See James M. Goode's "Capital Losses: A Cultural History of Washington's Destroyed Buildings," pgs. 308-310.

Contained within

Smithsonian Institution Archives, Record Unit 95, Box 34, Folder: 38

Contact information

Institutional History Division, Smithsonian Institution Archives, 600 Maryland Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20024-2520, SIHistory@si.edu

Date

c. 1880

Restrictions & Rights

No restrictions

Topic

  • Laboratories
  • Exhibitions
  • Grounds
  • National Collections
  • Expositions

Form/Genre

  • Photographic print
  • Exterior

ID Number

15302 or MAH-15302

Physical description

Number of Images: 1 ; Color: Color; Size: 8w x 10h; Type of Image: Exterior; Medium: Glass Negative

Full Record

View Full Record