East Wing of Smithsonian Building or "Castle" Completed

ID:

Creator:

Form/Genre:

Date: April 10, 1849

Citation:

Close
Usage Conditions Apply
The Smithsonian Institution Archives welcomes personal and educational use of its collections unless otherwise noted. For commercial uses, please contact photos@si.edu.
Download IIIF Manifest Request permissions Download image Print

Narrow Your Results

Reset

Filter Your Results

Smithsonian Secretaries Information

Close Browse records and papers of the Smithsonian Secretaries, from 1846 until today. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by individuals who have held that office.

Expeditions Information

Close Browse records and papers documenting scientific and collecting expeditions either affiliated with the Smithsonian, or with which Smithsonian researchers participated. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by geographic regions predominantly represented in expedition records.

Professional Societies Information

Close Browse records of professional societies closely associated with the Smithsonian, that focus on areas of scientific research and museum studies. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by major topics and disciplines.
 

Summary

The east wing of the Smithsonian Institution Building or "Castle" is completed and is occupied by a lecture room, a laboratory and apparatus rooms. James Renwick, Jr., a New York architect known for his ecclesiastical designs, is the architect. Secretary Joseph Henry calls it "an example of the most striking kind of failure of attempting to adopt the architecture of the middle ages to the wants and usages of the 19th century." By year's end, the west wing would also be completed, and plans were made to house the library in the west wing until the main building was finished.

Subject

  • Henry, Joseph 1797-1878
  • Renwick, James 1818-1895
  • Smithsonian Institution Building Apparatus Room
  • Smithsonian Institution Building East Wing
  • Smithsonian Institution Libraries (SIL)
  • Smithsonian Institution Building Lecture Hall
  • Smithsonian Library

Category

Chronology of Smithsonian History

Notes

  • Image is of the Laboratory of Natural History in the East Wing of the Castle, c. 1856, Smithsonian Institution Archives, negative number 2005-10437.
  • Goode, George Brown, ed. The Smithsonian Institution, 1846-1896, The History of Its First Half Century. Washington, D.C.: De Vinne Press, 1897, p. 834.
  • Annual Report of the Board of Regents of the Smithsonian Institution for 1853, p. 176 (184).
  • Oehser, Paul H. The Smithsonian Institution. New York: Praeger Publishers, 1970, p. 188.

Contact information

Institutional History Division, Smithsonian Institution Archives, 600 Maryland Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20024-2520, SIHistory@si.edu

Date

April 10, 1849

Topic

  • Construction
  • Architecture
  • Lectures and lecturing
  • Libraries
  • Buildings

Full Record

View Full Record