The Second Architect of the Smithsonian Building
CloseRequest permissionsDownload image Print
After the work of the Smithsonian Institution Building's original architect, James Renwick, Jr., was declared done by the Board of Regents in 1853, Barton S. Alexander, then a Lieutenant in the United States Army Corps of Engineers, was asked to take over the architect's duties. In Washington, D.C. working as the architect for the Soldiers' Home, Alexander supervised work until the building's completion in 1855. The article gives brief biographical information concerning Alexander, a West Point graduate, and mentions architectural styles that influenced him.
Smithsonian Institution History Bibliography
Smithsonian Preservation Quarterly (Newsletter)
Institutional History Division, Smithsonian Institution Archives, 600 Maryland Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20024-2520, SIHistory@si.edu