The Laboratory of Natural History

Close
Usage Conditions Apply
The Smithsonian Institution Archives welcomes personal and educational use of its collections unless otherwise noted. For commercial uses, please contact photos@si.edu.
Request permissions Download image Print

Narrow Your Results

Reset

Filter Your Results

Smithsonian Secretaries Information

Close Browse records and papers of the Smithsonian Secretaries, from 1846 until today. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by individuals who have held that office.

Expeditions Information

Close Browse records and papers documenting scientific and collecting expeditions either affiliated with the Smithsonian, or with which Smithsonian researchers participated. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by geographic regions predominantly represented in expedition records.

Professional Societies Information

Close Browse records of professional societies closely associated with the Smithsonian, that focus on areas of scientific research and museum studies. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by major topics and disciplines.
 

Summary

First Smithsonian Secretary Joseph Henry long held the view that the Smithsonian Institution and the National Museum should be separate bodies, but he also realized that separating the museum from the Institution would harm the cause of natural history. He did somewhat accomplish his goal in 1871, however, by separating them within the Smithsonian Building. Henry's living quarters were housed in the East Wing's second floor, with the remainder of the east wing and the east range used for the Institution's administrative offices. The National Museum occupied the rest of the building, except for the natural history laboratory, which was relocated to the Smithsonian Building's west wing basement. The author describes the fireproofing of the west wing prior to the 1871 space rearrangements.

Subject

  • Elliott, Henry W
  • Henry, Joseph 1797-1878
  • Smithsonian Institution Building (Washington, D.C.)
  • United States National Museum

Category

Smithsonian Institution History Bibliography

Notes

Article includes illustration from June 1, 1878 Harper's Weekly, "General Laboratory of Natural History," based on sketches and photographs by Henry W. Elliott, a naturalist, artist, and Smithsonian employee

Contained within

Smithsonian Preservation Quarterly (Newsletter)

Contact information

Institutional History Division, Smithsonian Institution Archives, 600 Maryland Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20024-2520, SIHistory@si.edu

Date

Winter 1994

Topic

  • Museum buildings
  • Laboratories
  • Secretaries
  • Smithsonian Institution
  • Personnel management
  • SI, Early History
  • Employees
  • Smithsonian Institution--Employees

Place

Washington (D.C.)

Physical description

p. 4

Full Record

View Full Record