Sheds Constructed Along South Side of SIB

Close
Usage Conditions Apply
The Smithsonian Institution Archives welcomes personal and educational use of its collections unless otherwise noted. For commercial uses, please contact photos@si.edu.
Print

Narrow Your Results

Reset

Filter Your Results

Smithsonian Secretaries Information

Close Browse records and papers of the Smithsonian Secretaries, from 1846 until today. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by individuals who have held that office.

Expeditions Information

Close Browse records and papers documenting scientific and collecting expeditions either affiliated with the Smithsonian, or with which Smithsonian researchers participated. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by geographic regions predominantly represented in expedition records.

Professional Societies Information

Close Browse records of professional societies closely associated with the Smithsonian, that focus on areas of scientific research and museum studies. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by major topics and disciplines.
 

Summary

Two low sheds are built along the south side of and close to the Smithsonian Institution Building, one on each side of the south tower and extending nearly the entire length of each facade. The east shed is used for living animals, until they are removed to the National Zoological Park, and the west shed is cut up into 7 workshops and storage compartments. Both sheds are used for preparations for the Chicago World's Columbian Exposition. They will be removed in 1898, with a special Congressional appropriation of $2,500 for the purpose. The material derived from them is used partly in building a shed at the Ninth Street annex, and partly in the erection of the South Shed on the Mall.

Subject

  • National Zoological Park (U.S.)
  • Smithsonian Institution Building (Washington, D.C.)
  • United States Congress

Category

Chronology of Smithsonian History

Notes

Rathbun, Richard. The United States National Museum: An Account of the Buildings Occupied by the National Collections. Washington, D.C.: Government Printing Office, 1905. Reprinted from the Report of the U.S. National Museum for 1903, p. 261.

Contact information

Institutional History Division, Smithsonian Institution Archives, 600 Maryland Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20024-2520, SIHistory@si.edu

Date

1887

Topic

  • Architecture
  • Exhibitions
  • Expenditures, Public
  • Wrecking
  • Buildings

Full Record

View Full Record