"Old Glory" Donated to Historic Collection
Close
PrintThe first Unted States flag to be entitled "Old Glory" is donated to the United States National Museum by Mrs. Mary J. D. Roland. Mrs. Roland is the daughter of Captain William Driver of Salem, Massachusetts, who was the first to apply this poetic phrase to the United States flag. The flag was presented to Captain Driver in 1824 and he always referred to it as "Old Glory," a descriptive phrase which soon became very popular and was generally used in public reference to the flag. The flag was forwarded to the Museum by President Warren G. Harding at the request of Mrs. Roland and is prominently installed in the North Hall of the Arts and Industries Building.
Chronology of Smithsonian History
Smithsonian Institution Archives, Record Unit 298, Box 1, "Local Notes," January 4, 1923, p. 1-2.
Institutional History Division, Smithsonian Institution Archives, 600 Maryland Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20024-2520, SIHistory@si.edu
January 1923
Flags