Escanaba Hall Used for Planning
In late 1955, United States National Museum staff began to use space in Escanaba Hall, a vacant government building at 900 Independence Avenue, SW, across from the Arts and Industries Building. The initial goal was to use 2200 square feet of office space on the second floor as a "Planning Office" for the recently legislated Museum of History and Technology (now the National Museum of American History). The National Air and Space Museum's staff also used it for planning in the early 1960s. The GSA-managed building was used for storage of collections as well and remained in use for approximately a decade.
Chronology of Smithsonian History
Institutional History Division, Smithsonian Institution Archives, 600 Maryland Avenue, SW, Washington, D.C. 20024-2520, SIHistory@si.edu
September 1, 1955