Group at Dedication with John C. Bradley at Console
Usage Conditions ApplyThe Smithsonian Institution Archives welcomes personal and educational use of its collections unless otherwise noted. For commercial uses, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Smithsonian and Honeywell staff gather around the "new" Honeywell 2015 mainframe computer after its installation and dedication. James C. Bradley, Under Secretary, and Stanley Kovy, ISD Director, stand by the operator console. Gathered around the room from left to right are: Frank Bennett, ISD; Reginald Creighton (in back), ISD Manager Information Storage & Retrieval; Mildred Gins, ISD; Honeywell woman, Ray Shreve, ISD; unknown; Allen Goff, Assistant Treasurer for Accounting and Financial Services; Keith Laverty, Accountant; James Mello, NMNH; Robert A. Brooks, Deputy Under Secretary; Richard Ault, Director of Support Activities; Roy G. Perry, ISD Manager of Computer Center; and Honeywell man.
- Brooks, Robert A
- Goff, Allen 'Al'
- Ault, Richard L
- Kovy, Stanley A 1931-1998
- Creighton, Reginald A
- Bradley, James C. 1910-1984
- Mello, James F. 1936-
- Bennett, Frank
- Gins, Mildred
- Shreve, Raymond
- Laverty, Keith
- Perry, Roy G
- Information Systems Division
- Arts and Industries Building
Historic Images of the Smithsonian
- See negatives 71-2785-02 through 71-2785-15 from photos of the installation and dedication of the Honeywell 2015 mainframe computer. Photos 71-2785-05 through 71-2785-08 are of a large group of people, taken within a few minutes of each other.
- Before 1975, the Smithsonian's central data processing organization was named the Information Systems Division (ISD), under the leadership of Nicholas J. Suszynski, Jr. From May 29, 1975 to April 3, 1982, it was called the Office of Computer Services (OCS). On April 4, 1982, it was renamed the Office of Information Resource Management (OIRM). Stanley A. Kovy (January 4, 1931 - April 15, 1998) was the only Director of OCS. The central data processing organization had several others names at different time in its history.
- The Smithsonian operated several different mainframe computers, manufactured by both Honeywell and IBM. The mainframe computers were all located on the third floor of the SW quadrant of the Arts & Industries Building, in the Computer Center room 3335. This space was used from 1967 to c. 2006, when operations were moved to the Herndon Data Center.
- Photo taken in the Computer Center, Arts & Industries Building, on November 5, 1971 at the installation and dedication of the "new" Honeywell 2015 mainframe computer. In Sept-Nov. 1967, the Smithsonian ordered and installed a Honeywell 1200; the 2015 was a replacement and an upgrade to the 1200. Both mainframe computers were members of the H-200 family or model line. At least seven Honeywell employees are represented in these images, many wearing Honeywell name tags.
Smithsonian Institution Archives, Accession 11-009
Institutional History Division, Smithsonian Archives, 600 Maryland Avenue, SW, Washington, D.C. 20024-2520, SIHistory@si.edu
November 5, 1971
Restrictions & Rights
- Electronic apparatus and appliances
- Data processing
- Electronic data processing
- Group, candid
Number of Images: 1; Color: Black and white; Size: 8w x 10h; Type of Image: Group, candid; Medium: 35mm negative