Under Secretary James C. Bradley at Dedication of Honeywell 2015 Computer
Creator: Neufeld, Harry B
Form/Genre: Group, candid
Date: November 5, 1971
Citation: Smithsonian Institution Archives, Accession 11-009
Usage Conditions ApplyThe Smithsonian Institution Archives welcomes personal and educational use of its collections unless otherwise noted. For commercial uses, please contact email@example.com.
Smithsonian staff gathered around the "new" Honeywell 2015 mainframe computer following it's installation and dedication. From left to right are: Allen S. Goff, Assistant Treasurer for Accounting and Financial Services; Keith R. Laverty, ISD; James F. Mello, NMNH; unknown; Robert A. Brooks, Deputy Under Secretary; Richard Ault (back to camera), Director of Support Activities; unknown; James C. Bradley (back to camera), Under Secretary; Roy G. Perry, ISD Manager of Computer Center; unknown, and John Beach, ISD.
- Brooks, Robert A
- Goff, Allen 'Al'
- Ault, Richard L
- Bradley, James C. 1910-1984
- Mello, James F. 1936-
- Laverty, Keith
- Perry, Roy G
- Beach, John
- Arts and Industries Building
- Information Systems Division
- Office of Computer Services 1975-1982
- Honeywell Inc
Historic Images of the Smithsonian
- See negatives 71-2785-02 through 71-2785-15 from photos of the installation and dedication of the Honeywell 2015 mainframe computer.
- Before 1975, the Smithsonian's central data processing organization was named the Information Systems Division (ISD), under the leadership of Nicholas J. Suszynski, Jr. From May 29, 1975 to April 3, 1982, it was called the Office of Computer Services (OCS). On April 4, 1982, it was renamed the Office of Information Resource Management (OIRM). Stanley A. Kovy (January 4, 1931 - April 15, 1998) was the only Director of OCS. The central data processing organization had several others names at different time in its history.
- The Smithsonian operated several different mainframe computers, manufactured by both Honeywell and IBM. The mainframe computers were all located on the third floor of the SW quadrant of the Arts & Industries Building, in the Computer Center room 3335. This space was used from 1967 to c. 2006, when operations were moved to the Herndon Data Center.
- Photo taken in the Computer Center, Arts & Industries Building, on November 5, 1971 at the installation and dedication of the "new" Honeywell 2015 mainframe computer. In Sept-Nov. 1967, the Smithsonian ordered and installed a Honeywell 1200; the 2015 was a replacement and an upgrade to the 1200. Both mainframe computers were members of the H-200 family or model line. At least seven Honeywell employees are represented in these images, many wearing Honeywell name tags.
Smithsonian Institution Archives, Accession 11-009
Institutional History Division, Smithsonian Archives, 600 Maryland Avenue, SW, Washington, D.C. 20024-2520, SIHistory@si.edu
November 5, 1971
Restrictions & Rights
- Computer input-output equipment
- Office practice
- Data processing
- Electronic information resources
- Computer systems
- Electronic apparatus and appliances
- Information storage and retrieval systems
- Smithsonian Institution
- Personnel management
- Electronic data processing
- Electronic instruments
- Museums--Collection management
- Office practice--Automation
- Smithsonian Institution--Employees
- Group, candid
Number of Images: 1; Color: Black and white; Size: 8w x 10h; Type of Image: Group, candid; Medium: 35mm negative