Architectural History of the Anacostia Community Museum, 1985

ID:

Creator:

Form/Genre: Cultural expressionism

Date: 1985-1989

Citation:

Close
Usage Conditions Apply
The Smithsonian Institution Archives welcomes personal and educational use of its collections unless otherwise noted. For commercial uses, please contact photos@si.edu.
Download IIIF Manifest Request permissions Download image Print

Narrow Your Results

Reset

Filter Your Results

Smithsonian Secretaries Information

Close Browse records and papers of the Smithsonian Secretaries, from 1846 until today. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by individuals who have held that office.

Expeditions Information

Close Browse records and papers documenting scientific and collecting expeditions either affiliated with the Smithsonian, or with which Smithsonian researchers participated. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by geographic regions predominantly represented in expedition records.

Professional Societies Information

Close Browse records of professional societies closely associated with the Smithsonian, that focus on areas of scientific research and museum studies. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by major topics and disciplines.
 

Summary

  • The Anacostia Neighborhood Museum was first conceived by Secretary S. Dillon Ripley as a way to reach underserved communities outside of the National Mall. The museum was first opened in the renovated Carver Theater (built in 1948) in 1967. The museum proved to be immensely popular and soon outgrew the space.
  • Ground breaking for the new museum took place in May, 1985. Designed by the Washington architecture firm Keyes Condon Florance, this 28,000 square foot museum is considered to be cultural expressionist style architecture.
  • The museum opened in 1989, and in 1995 was renamed Anacostia Museum and Center for African American History and Culture, and served as a planning site for the new Smithsonian National Museum of African American History and Culture. In 2002 it undertook an extensive renovation. The renovation, led by architecture firms architrave p.c. and Wisnewski Blair, was sought to maximize the space of the museum, but also to add elements to the building that express the history and culture of African Americans. Elements that were added include the red brick facade that invokes a woven Kente cloth, and the glass, block, and blue tile inlaid concrete cylinders that are reminiscent of the ruins of Great Zimbabwe. In 2006 the museum was renamed the Anacostia Community Museum.

Subject

  • Anacostia Community Museum
  • Anacostia Neighborhood Museum
  • Anacostia Museum and Center for African American History and Culture
  • Keyes Condon & Florance
  • architrave p.c architects
  • Wisnewski Blair Architects

Category

Chronology of Smithsonian History

Notes

Ewing, H., & Ballard, A. (2009). A guide to Smithsonian architecture. Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Books.

Contact information

Institutional History Division, Smithsonian Institution Archives, 600 Maryland Avenue, SW, Washington, D.C. 20024-2520, SIHistory@si.edu

Date

1985-1989

Topic

  • Community museums
  • Architecture
  • Conservation and renovation
  • Museums
  • Museum architecture
  • History
  • Building--Conservation and renovation
  • African Americans--History
  • African Americans

Place

Washington (D.C.)

Form/Genre

Cultural expressionism

Full Record

View Full Record