Freer Loggias Open

Close
Usage Conditions Apply
The Smithsonian Institution Archives welcomes personal and educational use of its collections unless otherwise noted. For commercial uses, please contact photos@si.edu.
Print

Narrow Your Results

Reset

Filter Your Results

Smithsonian Secretaries Information

Close Browse records and papers of the Smithsonian Secretaries, from 1846 until today. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by individuals who have held that office.

Expeditions Information

Close Browse records and papers documenting scientific and collecting expeditions either affiliated with the Smithsonian, or with which Smithsonian researchers participated. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by geographic regions predominantly represented in expedition records.

Professional Societies Information

Close Browse records of professional societies closely associated with the Smithsonian, that focus on areas of scientific research and museum studies. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by major topics and disciplines.
 

Summary

  • The loggias, or open galleries, overlooking the Italianate courtyard at the Freer opened to the public for the first time on June 11. Two bronze sculptures by American sculptor Augustus Saint-Gaudens (1848-1907) each featuring three seated allegorical figures, were placed on view in the east loggia. Four newly installed furniture groupings, each composed of two chairs and a settee, enable visitors to enjoy views of the courtyard.
  • The Freer courtyard has never been accessible though the loggias because of environmental concerns about the artworks in the gallery, according to Freer/Sackler Director Milo Beach. In celebration of the Freer's 75th anniversary, a project aimed at opening the loggias to the public, made possible by a generous grant from the Philip L. Graham Fund, was undertaken. New doors at the south entrance to the loggias were installed, enabling easy access while minimizing environmentally critical air exchange between the interior and exterior spaces.

Subject

  • Saint-Gaudens, Augustus 1848-1907
  • Beach, Milo Cleveland
  • Freer Gallery of Art
  • Philip L. Graham Fund

Category

Chronology of Smithsonian History

Notes

The Smithsonian "Torch," No. 2000-08, August 2000, Smithsonian Institution Archives, Accession: 05-298

Contact information

Institutional History Division, Smithsonian Institution Archives, 600 Maryland Avenue, SW, Washington, D.C. 20024-2520, SIHistory@si.edu

Date

June 11, 2000

Topic

  • Museum buildings
  • Anniversaries
  • Sculpture
  • Architecture
  • Art museums
  • Balconies
  • Repair and reconstruction
  • Exhibitions
  • Statues
  • Museum architecture
  • Renovations
  • Buildings--Repair and reconstruction

Place

Washington (D.C.)

Full Record

View Full Record