Arthur J. Olmsted
CloseDownload IIIF ManifestRequest permissionsDownload image Print
Usage Conditions ApplyThe Smithsonian Institution Archives welcomes personal and educational use of its collections unless otherwise noted. For commercial uses, please contact email@example.com.
Arthur J. Olmsted, osteopath, photographer, and later Associate Curator, seated at a desk in an office in the United States National Museum, now known as the Arts and Industries Building.
- Olmsted, Arthur J
- United States National Museum Section of Photography
- Division of Photographic History
- National Museum of History and Technology (U.S.) Division of Graphic Arts
- United States National Museum Dept. of Arts and Industries
Historic Images of the Smithsonian
- Arthur J. Olmsted (1873-1954) practiced osteopathy in Iowa; was chief, photographic section, Department of Agriculture, 1910-1920; and at the Smithsonian held the following positions starting in the Department of Arts and Industries: custodian and photographer,1920-1930, assistant curator and photographer, 1931-1941, associate curator and photographer, 1942, associate curator, 1943-1946.
- Photograph taken by Ruel P. Tolman, former Director of the Smithsonian's National Collection of Fine Arts, and is included in a scrapbook of photographs of Smithsonian staff, grounds and buildings, exhibitions, and Washington, D.C. scenes. (Section O).
- At same desk as in negative number SIA2011-2381. For additional photos of Arthur J. Olmsted, see also SIA2011-2376, SIA2011-2378, SIA2011-2379, SIA2011-2380.
- In 1881 the Department of Arts and Industries in the United States National Museum is established as the first curatorial office to collect objects related to transportation, textiles, materia medica, manufacturing and commerical products, historical relics of prominent Americans, scientific instruments, graphic arts, and coins and medals.
- The Division of Photographic History and its predecessors primarily documented the history of photographic science and technology in America since the nineteenth century. The Division collected cameras, patent models, motion picture apparatus, and photographs such as daguerreotypes, tintypes, and collotypes. In 1883, the Section of Photography was established in the Department of Preparation. In 1897, the Section became a part of the Division of Graphic Arts, where it remained until 1969. At that time, the Division was redesignated Graphic Arts and Photography. In 1972, the two functions divided, and the Division of Photographic History was established in the Department of Applied Arts.
Smithsonian Institution Archives, Record Unit 7433, Box 3, Folder: Ruel P. Tolman Collection, Scrapbook O-Z
Institutional History Division, Smithsonian Archives, 600 Maryland Avenue, SW, Washington, D.C. 20024-2520, SIHistory@si.edu
Restrictions & Rights
- Smithsonian Institution
- Personnel management
- Office equipment and supplies
- Smithsonian Institution--Employees
- Museum curators
- Photographic print
- Person, candid
Number of Images: 1; Color: Black and White; Size: 2.25w x 2.25h; Type of Image: Person, candid; Medium: Photographic print