Mr. Lawrence Oliver

ID: SIA2011-2373 or 32042-23

Creator: Tolman, Ruel P (Ruel Pardee) 1878-1954

Form/Genre: Photographic print

Date: June 1935

Citation: Smithsonian Institution Archives, Record Unit 7433, Box 3, Folder: Ruel P. Tolman Collection, Scrapbook O-Z

Usage Conditions Apply
The Smithsonian Institution Archives welcomes personal and educational use of its collections unless otherwise noted. For commercial uses, please contact
Download IIIF ManifestRequest permissionsDownload image Print


Mr. Lawrence L. Oliver, property clerk and later Superintendent of Buildings for the Department of Buildings and Labor (now known as the Office of Facilities Engineering and Operations), seated in an office.


  • Oliver, Lawrence L
  • Buildings Management Department (BMD)
  • Office of Facilities Engineering and Operations
  • Department of Buildings and Labor
  • Department of Buildings Management


Historic Images of the Smithsonian


  • Taken by Ruel P. Tolman, former Director of the Smithsonian's National Collection of Fine Arts and is included in a scrapbook of photographs of Smithsonian staff, grounds and buildings, exhibitions, and Washington, D.C. scenes. (Section O).
  • The Buildings Management Department and its predecessors operated, maintained, and protected the Smithsonian's offices, museums, and research facilities in the Washington, D.C., area. They provided security for museum collections, and information, direction, and assistance to Smithsonian visitors. In performing these duties, the Department supplied engineering, design, fabrication, repair, communication, transportation, special mechanical, and safety services. Henry Horan was the first Superintendent of Buildings, holding that position from 1880 to 1896. In 1896, J. Elfreth Watkins became Chief of the newly created Division of Buildings and Superintendence. Another reorganization in 1902 gave Watkins the title of Superintendent and James S. Goldsmith that of Supervisor of Construction. In 1904, the Division of Construction and Labor was created. The title was changed to Buildings and Labor in 1915, Buildings and Grounds in 1954, and Buildings Management Department in 1958. Goldsmith was Superintendent from 1904 to 1935; Royal H. Trembly held the position from 1935 to 1943; and Lawrence L. Oliver held it from 1943 to 1957. Oliver became Buildings Manager in 1958 and was succeeded by Andrew F. Michaels in 1959. In 1965 the title was changed to Director of Buildings Management Department and Michaels held the position until 1973. In 1973, the Buildings Management Department was reorganized into a number of newly created offices.

Contained within

Smithsonian Institution Archives, Record Unit 7433, Box 3, Folder: Ruel P. Tolman Collection, Scrapbook O-Z

Contact information

Institutional History Division, Smithsonian Archives, 600 Maryland Avenue, SW, Washington, D.C. 20024-2520,


June 1935

Restrictions & Rights

No restrictions


  • Smithsonian Institution
  • Personnel management
  • Employees
  • Smithsonian Institution--Employees


  • Photographic print
  • Person, candid

ID Number

SIA2011-2373 or 32042-23

Physical description

Number of Images: 1 Color: Sepia Size: 2.25w x 2.25h Type of Image: Person, candid Medium: Photographic print

Full Record

View Full Record