Postcard of the Franklin Press

ID: SIA2013-07801 (front) and SIA2013-07802 (back)

Creator: Albertype Company, The

Form/Genre: Postcard

Date: 1933

Citation: Smithsonian Institution Archives, Record Unit 65, Box 16, Folder: Postcards

Close
Usage Conditions Apply
The Smithsonian Institution Archives welcomes personal and educational use of its collections unless otherwise noted. For commercial uses, please contact photos@si.edu.
Download IIIF Manifest Request permissions Download image Print

Narrow Your Results

Reset

Filter Your Results

Smithsonian Secretaries Information

Close Browse records and papers of the Smithsonian Secretaries, from 1846 until today. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by individuals who have held that office.

Expeditions Information

Close Browse records and papers documenting scientific and collecting expeditions either affiliated with the Smithsonian, or with which Smithsonian researchers participated. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by geographic regions predominantly represented in expedition records.

Professional Societies Information

Close Browse records of professional societies closely associated with the Smithsonian, that focus on areas of scientific research and museum studies. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by major topics and disciplines.
 

Summary

Grayscale postcard of the Franklin Press on exhibit at the United States National Museum, now known as the Arts and Industries Building. The postcard is unused, but the message side has a printed note about the press: "This 'Improved Wooden Press' was used by Benjamin Franklin when employed in London as a printer by John Watts in 1726. The press passed to Cox and Sons, who sold it to Messrs. Harrild & Sons, who in turn presented it to John B. Murray of New York, in 1842. That same year it was deposited in the Patent Office, where it remained, except for six months in 1876, until 1883, when it was moved to the US National Museum. This type of printing press was in general use from about 1690 until after 1800, when it was superseded by the more powerful iron press."

Subject

  • United States National Museum
  • Arts and Industries Building

Category

Historic Images of the Smithsonian

Notes

  • The Arts and Industries Building (A&I) was designed by two Philadelphia architects: Adolph Cluss and Rudolph Schulze. It first opened in 1881 as the United States National Museum, the Smithsonian's first building dedicated solely to the research, care, and display of collections. After the natural history collection moved into its own building in 1910, the Arts and Industries Building exhibited primarily historical and technological collections.
  • Today the Franklin Press can be found at the National Museum of American History.

Contained within

Smithsonian Institution Archives, Record Unit 65, Box 16, Folder: Postcards

Contact information

Institutional History Division, Smithsonian Archives, 600 Maryland Avenue, SW, Washington, D.C. 20024-2520, SIHistory@si.edu

Date

1933

Restrictions & Rights

No restrictions

Topic

  • Postcard
  • Exhibitions
  • Franklin Printing Press

Form/Genre

  • Postcard
  • Paper

ID Number

SIA2013-07801 (front) and SIA2013-07802 (back)

Physical description

Number of Images: 2; Color: Black and White; Size: 3.4w x 5.4h; Type of Image: Postcard; Medium: Paper

Full Record

View Full Record