Postcard of the Patent Office Building

ID: SIA2011-2297 (front) and SIA2011-2298 (back)

Creator: B.S. Reynolds Co. Washington, DC

Form/Genre: Postcard

Date: c. 1915-1930

Citation: Smithsonian Institution Archives, Record Unit 95, Box 84, Folder: 25

Close
Usage Conditions Apply
The Smithsonian Institution Archives welcomes personal and educational use of its collections unless otherwise noted. For commercial uses, please contact photos@si.edu.
Download IIIF Manifest Request permissions Download image Print

Narrow Your Results

Reset

Filter Your Results

Smithsonian Secretaries Information

Close Browse records and papers of the Smithsonian Secretaries, from 1846 until today. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by individuals who have held that office.

Expeditions Information

Close Browse records and papers documenting scientific and collecting expeditions either affiliated with the Smithsonian, or with which Smithsonian researchers participated. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by geographic regions predominantly represented in expedition records.

Professional Societies Information

Close Browse records of professional societies closely associated with the Smithsonian, that focus on areas of scientific research and museum studies. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by major topics and disciplines.
 

Summary

Postcard of the Patent Office Building shows people walking in front of the building and on the street. The message side is unused, but it has a short printed note about the building: "U.S. Patent Office. The Department of the Interior building is popularly called the Patent Office." The front of the postcard has a white border.

Subject

  • Patent Office Building (POB)
  • American Art and Portrait Galleries Building
  • Patent Office
  • Smithsonian American Art Museum
  • National Portrait Gallery (U.S.)

Category

Historic Images of the Smithsonian

Notes

  • The National Collection of Fine Arts, now the Smithsonian American Art and Portrait Galleries, moved out of the Natural History Building and into the Old Patent Office Building in May 1968 after it was vacated by the Civil Service Commission.
  • The postcard is numbered 3739 in the bottom left-hand corner on the front.
  • The postcard is located in Accession 11-271, which is part of Record Unit 95.

Contained within

Smithsonian Institution Archives, Record Unit 95, Box 84, Folder: 25

Contact information

Institutional History Division, Smithsonian Archives, 600 Maryland Avenue, SW, Washington, D.C. 20024-2520, SIHistory@si.edu

Date

c. 1915-1930

Restrictions & Rights

No restrictions

Topic

  • Museum buildings
  • Postcard
  • Architecture--Washington (D.C.)
  • Architecture
  • Museums
  • Buildings

Place

Washington (D.C.)

Form/Genre

  • Postcard
  • Paper

ID Number

SIA2011-2297 (front) and SIA2011-2298 (back)

Physical description

Number of Images: 2; Color: Color; Size: 5.5w x 3.5h; Type of Image: Postcard; Medium: Paper

Full Record

View Full Record