Postcard of the Patent Office

ID: SIA2011-2283 (front) and SIA2011-2284 (back)

Creator: Unknown

Form/Genre: Postcard

Date: c. 1907-1915

Citation: Smithsonian Institution Archives, Record Unit 95, Box 84, Folder: 25

Close
Usage Conditions Apply
The Smithsonian Institution Archives welcomes personal and educational use of its collections unless otherwise noted. For commercial uses, please contact photos@si.edu.
Download IIIF Manifest Request permissions Download image Print

Narrow Your Results

Reset

Filter Your Results

Smithsonian Secretaries Information

Close Browse records and papers of the Smithsonian Secretaries, from 1846 until today. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by individuals who have held that office.

Expeditions Information

Close Browse records and papers documenting scientific and collecting expeditions either affiliated with the Smithsonian, or with which Smithsonian researchers participated. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by geographic regions predominantly represented in expedition records.

Professional Societies Information

Close Browse records of professional societies closely associated with the Smithsonian, that focus on areas of scientific research and museum studies. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by major topics and disciplines.
 

Summary

Postcard of the Patent Office Building, now the Smithsonian American Art Museum and National Portrait Gallery. The view is from a street corner, and the streets are empty, save for two horse and buggies on the bottom right. The American Flag is flying from the building. The message side is blank, but it has a printed note: "The Patent Office, as the building of the Department of the Interior is popularly termed, contains in its archives a record of achievements of the inventive genius of America, and of the industrial and scientific progress of the country."

Subject

  • Patent Office Building (POB)
  • American Art and Portrait Galleries Building
  • Patent Office
  • Smithsonian American Art Museum

Category

Historic Images of the Smithsonian

Notes

  • The Patent Office Building is one of the oldest public buildings in Washington, D.C., and it now houses the Smithsonian American Art Museum. Some of the architects who designed the Patent Office Building are: Robert Mills (1781-1855), Ithiel Town (1784-1844), Alexander Jackson Davis (1803-1892), Thomas U. Walter (1804-1887) and William Parker Elliot (1807-1854). In 1958 the building was transferred to the Smithsonian Institution. The building was extensively restored and reopened in 1968 housing the Portrait Gallery and Museum of American Art, and now share the building as the Smithsonian American Art Museum and National Portrait Gallery.
  • The postcard is numbered Z-119.
  • This postcard is located in Accession #11-271, which is part of Record Unit 95.

Contained within

Smithsonian Institution Archives, Record Unit 95, Box 84, Folder: 25

Contact information

Institutional History Division, Smithsonian Archives, 600 Maryland Avenue, SW, Washington, D.C. 20024-2520, SIHistory@si.edu

Date

c. 1907-1915

Restrictions & Rights

No restrictions

Topic

  • Postcard
  • Museum buildings
  • Architecture--Washington (D.C.)
  • Animals
  • Architecture
  • Horses
  • Museums
  • Flags
  • Buildings

Place

  • United States
  • Washington (D.C.)

Form/Genre

  • Postcard
  • Paper

ID Number

SIA2011-2283 (front) and SIA2011-2284 (back)

Physical description

Number of Images: 2; Color: Color; Size: 5.5w x 3.5h; Type of Image: Postcard; Medium: Paper

Full Record

View Full Record