Postcard of the Natural History Building

ID: SIA2011-2277 (front) and SIA2011-2278 (back)

Creator: Capitol Souvenir Company

Form/Genre: Postcard

Date: c. 1937-1945

Citation: Smithsonian Institution Archives, Record Unit 95, Box 84, Folder: 25

Close
Usage Conditions Apply
The Smithsonian Institution Archives welcomes personal and educational use of its collections unless otherwise noted. For commercial uses, please contact photos@si.edu.
Download IIIF Manifest Request permissions Download image Print

Narrow Your Results

Reset

Filter Your Results

Smithsonian Secretaries Information

Close Browse records and papers of the Smithsonian Secretaries, from 1846 until today. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by individuals who have held that office.

Expeditions Information

Close Browse records and papers documenting scientific and collecting expeditions either affiliated with the Smithsonian, or with which Smithsonian researchers participated. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by geographic regions predominantly represented in expedition records.

Professional Societies Information

Close Browse records of professional societies closely associated with the Smithsonian, that focus on areas of scientific research and museum studies. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by major topics and disciplines.
 

Summary

Postcard of the Natural History Building, now the National Museum of Natural History, with its roof painted red, even though the dome is painted a gold color. The sky is blue with white and pink clouds. There are blue, yellow, and red cars parked in front of the museum. The message side is blank, but it has a printed note about the museum: "Facing the Smithsonian Institution Building on the opposite side of The Mall is the Natural History Building, U.S. National Museum, a four-story white granite structure built at a cost of $3,500,000. It contains the collections and laboratories of natural history, including biology, geology, ethnology, and archeology [sic], and also the National Collection of Fine Arts." The front of the postcard has a white border.

Subject

  • United States National Museum
  • Natural History Building
  • National Museum of Natural History (U.S.)

Category

Historic Images of the Smithsonian

Notes

  • The Natural History Building, called the United States National Museum, opened to the public on March 17, 1910. The U.S. National Museum was first housed in what is now known as the Arts and Industries Building. The Natural History Building is now the National Museum of Natural History.
  • The postcard is numbered C-225: 83006. Produced by Capitol Souvenir Co., Inc., Washington, D.C.
  • This postcard is located in Accession #11-271, which is part of Record Unit 95.

Contained within

Smithsonian Institution Archives, Record Unit 95, Box 84, Folder: 25

Contact information

Institutional History Division, Smithsonian Archives, 600 Maryland Avenue, SW, Washington, D.C. 20024-2520, SIHistory@si.edu

Date

c. 1937-1945

Restrictions & Rights

No restrictions

Topic

  • Postcard
  • Museum buildings
  • Architecture--Washington (D.C.)
  • Architecture
  • Museums
  • Buildings

Place

Washington (D.C.)

Form/Genre

  • Postcard
  • Linen

ID Number

SIA2011-2277 (front) and SIA2011-2278 (back)

Physical description

Number of Images: 2; Color: Color; Size: 5.5w x 3.5h; Type of Image: Postcard; Medium: Linen

Full Record

View Full Record