Blank Postcard of the Natural History Building (U.S. National Museum)

ID: SIA2013-06647 (front) and SIA2013-06648 (back)

Creator: Curt Teich & Co

Form/Genre: Postcard

Date: 1934

Citation: Smithsonian Institution Archives, Record Unit 95, Box 75, Folder: 9

Close
Usage Conditions Apply
The Smithsonian Institution Archives welcomes personal and educational use of its collections unless otherwise noted. For commercial uses, please contact photos@si.edu.
Download IIIF Manifest Request permissions Download image Print

Narrow Your Results

Reset

Filter Your Results

Smithsonian Secretaries Information

Close Browse records and papers of the Smithsonian Secretaries, from 1846 until today. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by individuals who have held that office.

Expeditions Information

Close Browse records and papers documenting scientific and collecting expeditions either affiliated with the Smithsonian, or with which Smithsonian researchers participated. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by geographic regions predominantly represented in expedition records.

Professional Societies Information

Close Browse records of professional societies closely associated with the Smithsonian, that focus on areas of scientific research and museum studies. Pre-set filters help narrow searches by major topics and disciplines.
 

Summary

Blank postcard of the Natural History Building, called the U.S. National Museum, and now known as the National Museum of Natural History. The view is from the right side of the building. The grounds are empty and the trees are bare. The message side is blank, and the card has white edging.

Subject

  • National Museum of Natural History (U.S.)
  • Natural History Building
  • United States National Museum

Category

Historic Images of the Smithsonian

Notes

  • The Natural History Building of the U.S. National Museum opened to the public on March 17, 1910. The U.S. National Museum was first housed in what is now known as the Arts and Industries Building. The Natural History Building is now the National Museum of Natural History.
  • #4A-H2187. Genuine Curteich-Chicago "C.T. Photo-Colorit" Post Card. Curt Otto Teich (1877-1974), a German immigrant, founded Curt Teich & Co., which was a postcard printing company that operated from 1898 to 1978. The company specialized in view and advertising postcards, and was the largest volume printer of this type in the world from the 1920s to the 1940s. C.T. Photo-Colorit was a printing process used by Curt Teich & Co.
  • This postcard is located in Accession #03-140, which is part of Record Unit 95.
  • For another version of this postcard, see Negatives SIA2013-06651 and SIA2013-06652.

Contained within

Smithsonian Institution Archives, Record Unit 95, Box 75, Folder: 9

Contact information

Institutional History Division, Smithsonian Archives, 600 Maryland Avenue, SW, Washington, D.C. 20024-2520, SIHistory@si.edu

Date

1934

Restrictions & Rights

No restrictions

Topic

  • Postcard
  • Museum buildings
  • Architecture--Washington (D.C.)
  • Architecture
  • Buildings

Place

Washington (D.C.)

Form/Genre

  • Postcard
  • Linen

ID Number

SIA2013-06647 (front) and SIA2013-06648 (back)

Physical description

Number of Images: 2; Color: Color; Size: 5.5w x 3.5h; Type of Image: Postcard; Medium: Linen

Full Record

View Full Record