Kim Sajet Named Director of the National Portrait Gallery
Usage Conditions ApplyThe Smithsonian Institution Archives welcomes personal and educational use of its collections unless otherwise noted. For commercial uses, please contact email@example.com.
- On February 5, 2013, Smithsonian Secretary G. Wayne Clough names Kim Sajet as the new Director of the National Portrait Gallery. Set to take office on April 1, 2013, Sajet comes to the Smithsonian from a diverse background. From 2007-2013, Sajet served as the the President and CEO of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania. While at the Historical Society, Sajet developed a strategic plan around the concept of a Center for History and Learning. She also developed the Digital Center for Americana and the History Affiliates, which supports more than 340 history and heritage organizations in southeastern Pennsylvania.
- Prior to her work at the Historical Society Sajet worked as Senior Vice President and Deputy Director of the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts. She also served as Director of Corporate Relations at the Philadelphia Museum of Art from 1998 until 2001, and from 1990 until 1995, she served as the Director of two Australian art museums.
- Sajet has served on numerous arts and culture boards and has written a number of scholarly publications, curated permanent-collection and touring exhibitions, and spoken at academic symposia. She received her master's degree in art history at Bryn Mawr College, and later a master's degree in business administration at Melbourne University Business School in Australia. She also holds a bachelor's degree in art history from Melbourne University, and a degree in museum studies from Deakin University in Australia. Sajet also has completed arts leadership training at the Harvard Business School, the Getty, and National Arts Strategies.
- Sajet, Kim
- Clough, G. Wayne
- National Portrait Gallery (U.S.)
- Philadelphia Museum of Art
- Bryn Mawr College
- Historical Society of Pennsylvania
- Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts
- University of Melbourne
- Deakin University
- J. Paul Getty Museum
Chronology of Smithsonian History
"Message from the Secretary: Kim Sajet Named Director of the National Portrait Gallery," 2/5/2013, SI Email Announcements.
Institutional History Division, Smithsonian Institution Archives, 600 Maryland Avenue, SW, Washington, D.C. 20024-2520, SIHistory@si.edu
February 5, 2013
- Art museums
- Smithsonian Institution
- Personnel management
- Smithsonian Institution--Employees
- Museum directors