Wall in Rear of Washington Hotel, Colón, Panama
CloseDownload IIIF ManifestRequest permissionsDownload image Print
Usage Conditions ApplyThe Smithsonian Institution Archives welcomes personal and educational use of its collections unless otherwise noted. For commercial uses, please contact email@example.com.
In the rear of the Washington Hotel to protect the land from the surf, there are concrete blocks in the water and a wall along the shoreline of a bay at Colón, Panama, along the seacoast of the Caribbean.
- Biological Survey of the Panama Canal Zone, 1923-1924
- Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute (STRI)
- Panama Canal Zone
Historic Images of the Smithsonian
- Scientists are on the Biological Survey of the Panama Canal Zone. Smithsonian staff were in Panama with the Institute for Research in Tropical America, a group of private foundations and universities under the auspices of the National Research Council, who first established a research laboratory on Barro Colorado Island, Panama Canal Zone, now known as the Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute, in order to investigate the flora and fauna of tropical America.
- Albert S. Hitchcock was a botanist with the United States Agriculture Department's Bureau of Plant Industry and Honorary Curator of Grasses at the United States National Herbarium at the Smithsonian. The negative number #1095 is Hitchcock's negative number. The original photograph is located in Hitchcock's travel album.
- For other view of Washington Hotel and surrounding area, see Negs. SIA2009-2917, SIA2009-2918, SIA2010-0715, SIA2010-0716, SIA2010-0717, SIA2010-0718 and SIA2010-0720.
Smithsonian Institution Archives, Record Unit 29, Box 19, Folder: Volume 2 nos. 782-111829, Box 19, Folder: Volume 2 nos. 782-1118
Institutional History Division, Smithsonian Archives, 600 Maryland Avenue, SW, Washington, D.C. 20024-2520, SIHistory@si.edu
Restrictions & Rights
- Scientific expeditions
- Conservation of natural resources
- Natural History
- Tropical Biology
- Natural history
- Colón (Panama)
- Photographic print
SIA2010-0719 or Hitchcock #1095
Number of Images: 1; Color: Black and white; Size: 5.38w x 3.13h; Type of Image: Landscape; Medium: Photographic print